Monday 18 January 2021

One step forward two steps back! More Minecraft reflections

 So I got lost and had to make a new house - that was fine and I was getting quite pleased with my progress. I was planning to plant a little garden of grass seeds next to the water and put a fence around the house, as I remembered from a previous year that it keeps away unwelcome explosions! I had stumbled across an apple and so I had that to eat, but my hearts were going down as I had had an encounter with skeletons by leaving the house too early. I didn't realise that even after dawn they could be active so I was shot at a few times. I managed to retreat into my house in time and soon after it was safe to leave. I picked up some nice bones and there was an arrow on the ground. I wanted to pick it up but couldn't - perhaps my hands were already full?

Anyway soon after that I was killed - I can't remember what by - it all happened so quickly as I was down to two hearts so I suppose one arrow or spider bite would have been enough. Then I was back to the spawning site and realised I was in the same trouble - I had not kept track of where I had wandered away from that spot and so had no idea where either of my new houses were. I looked around in vain and began to get panicky. I quickly decided I needed shelter and only having got a few planks I dug myself into the hillside a bit and blocked the gaps with mud. I spent the night in the dark and the next day it rained all day so it felt like a bit of a miserable muddy hole. The lightning flashes occasionally lit up the place when I punched a hole in the mud to see what the time was. I realised an Ender was stalking around outside. I'm not sure what harm it would do - quite a lot I expect.

I had a crafting table and made a few tools but next day I decided not to waste time and quickly collected enough wood to make another little house. I found a spot that was quite a good place for a house - quite flat, surrounded by trees and with water nearby. Of course I had to spend the first night in the dark as I had not managed to make my doors in time. Oak doors where you can see the dawn coming up are my favourite! While it was night I busied myself making tools and a box to store useful stuff in in case I was bumped off again.

When finally night ended I ventured out cautiously as I had heard zombies very close but the coast was clear. I set to collecting a lot of wood, making steps for a roof (I had tried to help Carol and Dak with their building in Azcraft and really made a hash of it but I realised that steps make a pretty slanting roof so I was trying to emulate that idea.) and I planted my oak and birch saplings and some grass seeds near the water. I managed to get one side of the house with a roof but the steps kept going on the wrong way... grrrr. Then it was evening so I retreated to put the rotten flesh and other bits and bobs in my box. I had a lot of birch wood so made quite a lot of fencing to put around the house the next day. And that's where I left it for another day.

My main reflection this time from doing the EVO MC MOOC is that it might not be a good idea to make it too easy for new starters (teachers as well as students!). I noticed an invitation to mining with a diamond pickaxe. To a newbie that has no value at all. You only begin to appreciate the value of higher level items if you have personally been through the lower levels. I don't think short cutting is a good idea, at least for me personally. I have enjoyed the struggle of my own little world a lot more than having things done and prepared for me. It's great to get tips and tricks and I wouldn't know how to survive without the help of the MOOC moderators of previous years. But in general you only learn well (and enjoy!) if it's what you need and want at that moment. Perhaps there's a learning theory in there somewhere!!

1 comment:

  1. I left a comment here, https://groups.io/g/minecraftmooc/message/216

    For seeing where you are, use our map http://mc.evomc.net:8123/ - keep it open all the time, helps you find where you need to get back to

    ReplyDelete

2022 - New World in Minecraft

 Here I am again, back for an annual dose of Minecraft fun. The first hurdle today was to make sure I was on the correct version of the game...