Monday 11 January 2021

Minecraft 2021 First few days in my new world

 Here I am again - for more learning and creating in this strangely compelling blocky world!

I learned last year (2020) that having your own survival world was the quickest way to 'get' Minecraft. In previous years, although I had enjoyed playing with other people and learning from what they had painstakingly discovered, it was not as engaging as I had expected. I just wondered what the big deal was and couldn't help comparing it negatively to Second Life which is just a much more beautiful experience visually. 

However making my own world (Tillcraft for EVO 2020) made me understand how compelling and addictive the game can be. I got myself lost down a big hole and needed a lot of help to get out as it was total darkness!! I really appreciated the support of the experienced players who clearly enjoyed someone needing their knowledge. I ended up making a little house (not beautifully built but home and SAFE!)  and learned about making a fence round it to stop the Creeper blowing holes in my area. I learned about making a path to get back home. I sowed grass seeds and harvested them. I made a fishing rod with dead spider string and caught fish. I rowed around in a little boat. I mined deep down and created a labyrinth of tunnels. I finally went exploring and made a new house because I couldn't find my way back... but it was next to a village so that seemed to be the next step of adventure in the game. That was where I had to leave it and despite the extra time of lockdown I never made it back to pick up where I left off.

When I started Minecraft this year, the old world was still there but in a much earlier version of MC so I started a new personal world in the latest version of Minecraft (I keep writing Minceraft and it makes me think of mince pies - sadly long gone now!) 1.16.4 (now changed to 1.16.5 - I can still use the same world luckily). I decided to share my first few moments in the game with my son and husband to see if either of them would be interested enough to share the fun. 

I found myself in a foresty place, so gleefully set to punching down birch trees and oak trees. I then converted the logs to planks as soon as I could and found a place to put a small hut. With the sun going down and in a bit of a panic I boxed myself in and was totally in the dark, safe but not able to see the sun come up. Zombies came around growling and I waited for them to go away so that I could punch out a door and see what time it was. They didn't seem to diminish even after 10 minutes. When I made a hole in the wall I was surprised that it was quite light and although zombies were still groaning they were nowhere to be seen. I quickly set about getting more wood to make a crafting table and then made some sticks which allowed me to make some tools. I also made a couple of doors, realising the importance of being able to see the change of day in the house.

With a nice set of tools and some grass seeds I went to the water's edge to sow them. I realised a spider was nearby but felt brave enough to tackle it with my wooden sword since in my previous world I had managed to kill two spiders with a wooden sword. However my hacking and hitting didn't work and the spider killed me - I lost all the lovely things I had made...

When I respawned I realised I didn't know my way back to my safe little hut and would need to make a new house - again a roughly thrown together hut. Night fell again and I had no way to speed up morning... frustrating but all the more compelling to keep playing and get back to the level I used to be at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 - New World in Minecraft

 Here I am again, back for an annual dose of Minecraft fun. The first hurdle today was to make sure I was on the correct version of the game...